Saturday, August 01, 2009

Mistakes are all mine!

Twelve runs to win off one over. The bowler started running in. I was immensely concentrating to put bat on ball. The first ball was on length and moved away a bit. I swung my bat 360 degrees. No use. The ball went straight to the keeper. I removed one of my sweaters and gave it to the umpire. I was feeling hot inside even though it was minus one degree on a cold dark winter evening in London.

The bowler started running in for the second ball. Again, the ball was on length and moved away. I braced myself for a backfoot heave over covers and was about to swing my bat.

“Are you coming or not?” shouted my friend. I lost concentration momentarily and edged the ball to the wicketkeeper.

I was disappointed to have got out the way I got out. But, when I came back to where my team was standing, guys were apologetic.

“Well played “ and “Tough luck” were the comments from them. After nodding to them, I found Krishna staring at me. I was sure that he was angry with me, by looking at his expression.

Two minutes and four more balls later, we lost the game. The team was disappointed but Krishna was still angry. After a few seconds, reality stuck me. Common sense started prevailing. Krishna had to catch a flight to go to Newcastle. I looked at my watch. It was four thirty in the evening. The flight was at five thirty.

“I am sorry dude, I didn’t realize that it is very late now. I think we can still catch the plane if we give it a try” I said.

He spoke nothing.

We reached home in a couple of minutes. All the way I was trying to call all the cab companies I knew. It was a Sunday and not many cabs were running around. We were forced to take the Bus to the airport. The journey took twenty five minutes. I spoke a lot in those twenty five minutes. He didn’t speak a word. All the way I was optimistic about us reaching the airport on time.

“British Airways are generally late from Heathrow. I am sure you will catch the flight” I said.

He gave a cold stare. I stayed quiet for a while.

“Is it not very cold out there” I asked, mainly to break the silence.

No response, again. “God! What am I going to do to make him speak?”

Krishna generally cannot control his anger. I have been a victim many times and have been smacked for all the mistakes I did in the past. Like this one. But today, he was very quiet and that was very scary for me.

When we got out of the bus, I pulled his bag and started running towards the check in desk like a mad man, pushing everyone who would come my way.

“Five thirty BA 1336 Newcastle flight please” I said to the check in agent. Krishna was walking slowly towards the check in counter. The check in lady pointed her finger towards a giant clock above her head. It said “Five forty five”

“Damn!” I said and looked back. Krishna was still walking towards me, hands on his pocket, as casual as ever.

“Oh my god!” I whispered. I was certain that I was going to be killed.

“The flight has departed” I told him, in a weak tone.

“I know that already. Saw it in the board there” he said pointing to the giant screen above.

We started walking towards the bus station after changing his ticket to the first flight the next morning.

“This is massive” I said, after boarding the bus.

“What is massive?”

“Generally you would pull my hair and smack me for small crimes I do. But this one is massive. You missed the flight and yet you are calm”

He nodded and didn’t speak.

“Why are you silent today ?” I asked.

“To start with…”
he stared.

“I believed you. I believed you that you would take me to the airport on time”
he said, in a calm voice.

I frowned.

“…and that was my mistake”
he continued.

I looked at him apologetically.

"Do you hate me for what i just did"
I asked

He looked at me and said “How can I ever hate you ... when the mistakes are all mine?”

6 comments:

n@veen said...

For sure I won't make that mistake wat Krishna did!!

Soapy said...

hey...gud one! loved the pace of this one :) n ya the msg here is imp - "trusting gopal is a mistake" lol :P

Unknown said...

DUde, nice story man.

Unknown said...

Lovely ending

Ganeshkumar Balu said...

I loved it...100 marks to you...expecting more from you..

Sankari said...

Superb one Gopal.. Amazing writing skill.. I could visulaise each and every scene and feel the intense of that scene. The way you ended the article was really great. I hope you managed to calm him down later :-)). The pace of the story is maintained right from beginning by using right words and right details. Kalakiteenga ponga..