Saturday, August 01, 2009

Home coming

“One last push… come on!”, I encouraged myself to get out of my bed in the morning. It took a Herculean effort to stretch my arm and switch the alarm off. This was the last day’s class in term 2 of 6 in the college. The thought of waking up to my convenience for about three weeks from now on was blissful. Someone who was absolutely hammered for four months with four sessions a day, four assignments a day, two tests a day, four hours of sleep a day and one decent meal a day could not ask for more!

I have been living away from my house for more than four years and I have returned home on short vacation more than ten times during this period. But, this time, going back home is more emotional for more than one reason.

I have missed being at home more than ever. I missed my close friend’s dad’s funeral. He was very dear to me as he was one of the very few in the world, who truly believed in my ability and encouraged me on many occasions. Missing his funeral was too hard for me to take. What is the point in doing MBA when I could not even be there when my friend needed me the most? How cruel can I ever get? Life moved on… but… all the time I could not wait to meet him.

My sister delivered a beautiful baby boy a couple of days after I landed in Dubai. He is four months old now, playing happily day and night. What is the point in missing all the magic moments of life and sitting here frantically reading books and attending classes? What am I doing? I haven’t even seen the baby yet. It has been four months now. What a shame!

I missed my friend’s engagement. I wish him luck, but I missed the event and all the fun. I just can’t wait to pull his leg, I just can’t wait to hug my friends, especially my mom. I miss all my fun conversations with her as much as anything else. Those conversations late in the night were special. Nothing in the world could ever substitute it.

I am now sitting here, on my bed, thinking what I could possibly do in the next two weeks before saying goodbye to Dubai. When I looked at my desk, I saw a huge pile of books. Those reminded me that I have some work to do before I leave. A few presentations, reports and exams left. “One last push!” I told myself again, to see through the last few pressure filled days.

“Pressure? What pressure? When home-coming is looming large :-)” I thought. I have never appreciated home coming, like I do now, in my life… ever!

2 comments:

Vijay Vaidyanathan said...

Nice post :)
We know the value of a lot of things only when we miss them.

Moments like these are times when we question to purpose of what we're doing.

Dj's Space© said...

u've wonderfully expressed wat we're all feeling da! can completely relate to it!
Guess the extra couple of days that we mite get in india will seem much much more sweeter now :)