Saturday, July 18, 2009

Starbucks and me!

I stood there motionless with a five dhiram note in my hand and tears in my eyes. The aroma from the shop was enticing. Afterall, it is one of the biggest chain of coffee shops in the world. The aroma made me cry. I couldn’t stop crying when I saw people throw money at the counter for a cup of ‘fancy’ coffee.

I wanted coffee. I love starbucks. I wanted coffee from starbucks. All I could spend was five dhirams. And all they could offer for five dhirams is… nothing.

So I stood there, wondering about a few incidents that happened to me exactly one year back.

“Keep the change as tip” I said offering a five pound note for a two pound coffee and I never even bothered the empty my cup. I drink it 90% and throw the rest into the bin.

I never even thought, even in the wildest of my dreams, that one day I would stand in front of starbucks only to stare at the coffee makers and the coffee buyers around me.

I was told that MBA is only a transformational process in our thinking and attitude. I realized that it not only applies to the subjects thought in the class, but also to life in general. Nothing is constant and nothing can be taken for granted.

I waited for a few minutes in front of the shop for this realization to sink into my mind that “When you have bucks to back you up, starbucks is a real star and when the bucks suck on you, starbucks is a sucker!”

I hate starbucks. Atleast for now.

5 comments:

Chandrasekhar R M said...

Hahaha...nice little experience; but I think you should carry a little more than 5 dirhams from next time :-)

Dj's Space© said...

Nice one! :) V true actually! :) Soo badly wanted the java chip frappo that day! :)
V well written da :) especially the comparison :) Tooo good! :)

@Chan :) --> Complete liquidity crunch in the recession :)

n@veen said...

Dude...I can vibe with ur pain!...We do have a big list of retail stores in that 'starbucks' category where all we can do right now is to stand outside the stores and stare at them :D

Btw...Mr.DJ's Space!....8 smileys in 3 lines!....u seem to b a very happy person :D

Dj's Space© said...

well -- considering that i am the only person wid liquidity currently (very temporary situation of course) -- am entitled to be happy :)
So there :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
and one more :)

Sumit said...

Do not hate starbucks sir !!!! Sometimes we have surplus and sometimes we dont have ....The equation is always balanced..