Thursday, December 25, 2008

Sleep sleeping

A lot of people like the Nokia tune. A lot of people set this tune for incoming calls. I hate Nokia tune. I hate the tune whenever I hear it. At that instance, I hate the person who has set the tune for incoming alerts or for messaging alerts. I hate the tune because it was set as my early morning alarm tune. I wake up every morning with a sense of irritation. Like most people, I like to sleep long and hard. Until Nokia tune wakes me up. As days progressed, the irritation I have towards Nokia tune became involuntary.

After a few months, I stopped hearing this tune. Even though the alarm is a few feet away from me. My mind now refuses to accept this tune to be registered. So, my wake up call is not a wake up call anymore, as I do not wake up to the call. The worst began to creep in. I started switching off the alarm as soon as it had started ringing. I wouldn’t even allow it complete one complete tune. All without my knowledge. When I wake up I usually have no knowledge about the alarm. Many people have the habit of talking while sleeping, walking while sleeping, snoring while sleeping. But, I have the worst problem. Sleeping while sleeping. Technically, som-soming!

I was sharing a house with my friend, colleague in Newcastle, UK. It is a decent sized two-bedroom house with a decent sized backyard, a living room, half a kitchen and a quarter bathroom. A couple of girls had to stay with us, so we are pushed to live in a single bedroom. As my friend snores like a drilling machine, we had an agreement that I sleep in the bedroom and he sleeps in the main hall. We also had fixed time schedules that I wake up at twenty past eight, use the bathroom and wake him up at twenty to nine. It worked so well for us. If I wake up on time, of course!

One a winter Friday morning, it was cold, it was dark and it was silent. A perfect time to go deep inside the blanket. Sleeping early in the morning with such atmosphere always gives an orgasmic pleasure lasting for a long time. No ejaculation though. Only satisfaction. And that’s when my alarm sounded. Like hell. With that Nokia tune. My brain was so tuned to handle such situation. It switched the alarm off swiftly. Without telling me what it had done.

I slept and slept and slept. Like a baby. Until half past ten. When I woke up, I was feeling fresh. Like taking a bath in a big waterfalls. I was feeling so fresh that I knew something was wrong. It was bright. The sunrays started falling on my blanket. We never see sunrays in winter. So, theres the difference, I thought. I instantly knew that I overslept. I looked at the watch. It was half ten. Even if I hurry to go to work, it would have been twelve before I reached there. I knew there was no point in putting that effort, as there was no one at office to appreciate it.

After a couple of minutes, when I became normal enough to count two and two, I suddenly thought about my friend who was sleeping in the main hall. I felt that I had let him down by not waking him up on time. I had no idea whether he had anything important at work that day. I freed myself from the blanket, hurried to the hall. The sound of snoring was increasing as I moved, in accordance to the Doppler effect.

I slowly removed his blanket and said, "Dude, I am sorry. Looks like I have over slept and forgot to wake you up"

After a brief moment, he opened half of his right eye, snapped at me and closed his face with the blanket. I had to repeat my actions and my words to get half of his eye open again. This time, he gave a glare with half of his eyes and said, "Don’t I know that it is late?"

"But, do you have anything important at work today?"

"Whatever I am doing at office is as important as the cat's droppings in the backyard"

"Fine, but we have to inform people at work that we will be late, don’t we?"

"Dude, I woke up at nine and found that you were sleeping heavily, so I called the people at work"

"And what did you say?"

"I told them that both of us are sick and wont come to work"

"Sick of what?" I asked.

"Loose motion", He said and went inside the blanket.

I never felt so happy for having such a disease. Ever. I swiftly went back to my bed. The snoring sound subsided as I moved, again in accordance with the Doppler effect.

We slept truly, madly, deeply for a couple more hours and woke up fresher than ever. We then cooked mega meals and ate while watching a movie.

The extra sleep that we got was so unexpected. I do sleep deep into the day during the weekends. It never gave any additional pleasure. The fact that we slept extra hours on a weekday, and that too at a totally unexpected time gave immense pleasure. This day can never be forgotten in life.

No comments: